Monday, October 11, 2010

Picture Books No Longer a Staple for Children


Picture Books No Longer a Staple for Children (New York Times, Oct. 7, 2010) http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/08/us/08picture.html?_r=1&emc=eta1

Book publishers have scaled back on the number of picture book titles published because:
a.)   The economic downturn.
b.)   Parents want kindergarteners and first graders to read chapter books instead.
c.)   Rigorous standardize testing in schools has fueled the exodus from picture books.
d.)   All the above.

Unfortunately, the answer is d.). If I hadn’t read the New York Times article, I think I would have picked a.), because hard covered picture books are outrageously expensive. Why would parents prefer or prohibit five and six year olds from enjoying picture books?
According to a source quoted in this article, children as young as four years old are being discouraged from engaging/reading picture books and are being pushed towards chapter books instead.  Misguided parents seem to think that a book without illustrations and lengthy text equates with a more sophisticated and richer reading experience for their child, thus making their child more successful.  They obviously have not experienced reading, The Lion and the Mouse by Jerry Pickney, a very sophisticated book without any text.

Many first graders boast that they can read chapter books.  Some can actually comprehend the lengthy stories. For them, and for their parents, it is a milestone. Much like when they loose the training wheels and are able to ride the two wheeled bike alone.

I caution those parents who rush their children from picture books to chapter books. All first grade children love picture books!  When given the choice, and when chapter books are beyond the novelty stage, first graders will almost always choose a picture book to read alone or to share with a friend. 

8 comments:

  1. I frequently use picture books in my 7th & 8th Grade ELA class. They are great for mentor texts. I find that many of my older kids don't know how to respond to picture books. They don't know how to imagine or wonder. Their response is often times, "That's weird! Wait, I don't get it! That's a little kids' book????"

    I wonder where along the way they lost their imagination and their sense of wonder. It's sad.

    Of course just as many are delighted to have a picture book read to them and love our beginning of the year activity where they bring in a favorite picture book and we share them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We seem to have many parents who are in a big rush to grow their kids up without the joys of picture books, play, free time, etc. I am with you, picture books are very important in the early years and can be very effective as teaching tools in the later years as well.Most of my first graders reading chapter books cannot have a discussion about the book because they don't have the stamina to stick with it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes indeed...parents rushing their children on to the next phase of life too soon.

    I supposed I need to be a bit grateful though, because I have spent way too much money on picture books! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the link. I am going to use this in some of my parent communications - just one more thing to push back against.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for this!!!! It is interesting how many of my higher leveled books are picture books. Jack and Annie? Great for an early chapter book, but these don't come close to some of my picture books in terms of content, beauty, richness, or sophistication.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hadn't seen this article. Thank you for sharing the link. It makes me sad, but I see it all of the time. Sadly, in a lot of my work coaching teachers, I am amazed at how much convincing I have to do to get them to use picture books as teaching resources. I can't imagine life without picture books, and I have never had students in my classroom (grades 3-5) that haven't loved picture books. I just keep sharing with enthusiasm, one book at a time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I heard about this article so thanks for sending the link. It was such discouraging news for me. I work with high risk students and families and the content of picture books is accessible to everyone regardless of the print! I've been discouraged lately at the content in picture books - moving away from "story" - into cutesy "lessons" that seem to be meant for adults instead of children.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Did you see the letters to the editor about the article yet? If not, click here to view them: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/14/opinion/l14picture.html?_r=1&emc=tnt&tntemail1=y. I particularly appreciated Shelley Harwayne's response.

    ReplyDelete